Thursday, December 4, 2008

Going To The Arch On Saturday

Ok, I've made my plans to drive over to St. Louis early Saturday morning to go to the arch. My co-worker has bowed out because she wants to sleep in. Slacker.

Going early means I'll have to leave Jefferson City around 6:30 for the 2-hour drive over. This should get me there between 8:30 and 9:00 which I'm hoping allows me to catch some good shots while the early morning sun is rising in the east. Plus, being early and being almost winter, I'm told the crowds at the arch will be minimal, which is perfect as far as I'm concerned.

Then I may take one of the Mississippi Riverboat rides, both for the fun of it and for the educational tour given by the National Park Rangers. Oh and the chance to get more photos from a different perspective.

The weather forecast is for a high of 45, but of course that's at 2-3pm so it will be colder than that in the morning, plus it is supposed to be windy. No precipitation is predicted, but between the temperature and the wind I'll most likely wear my thermal underwear, a long-sleeve shirt, my windbreaker, heavier coat, wool cap and, of course, gloves when I'm not trying to take photos. Especially since I'm sure it will be colder and windier on the riverboat.

By the way, this recently released report says that a magnitude 7 or higher earthquake in this region would cause catastrophic damage. I have this picture in mind of the arch cracking and perhaps even being destroyed by such an occurrence. I hope it doesn't happen while I'm up inside there Saturday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great thought Dad >< I hope you have fun!

BTW Mikey finally downloaded Yahoo Messenger 9 after months of refusing to accept it. Now he likes it. Hit him up sometime.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);