Monday, November 24, 2008

Walking With Lewis & Clark

Sunday morning I got up early and drove to downtown Jefferson City to take some photographs. I like going early as I get to use the early light in composing my photos, and I like to do it on Sunday mornings since it is always quiet and most streets are practically deserted.

I haven't processed all the photos yet or uploaded them to Flickr, but here's a couple that I thought looked good.



This first one is a close-up shot of a merman battling a sea serpent, part of an inactive fountain in the rear of the State Capitol building, the portion that faces the Missouri River, not far from where Lewis & Clark came ashore on one of their stops. Click the photo for a larger version.



From left to right: George Drouillard, civilian guide and interpreter; Meriwether Lewis; his dog Seaman; William Clark and York, Clark's manservant. Click the photo for a larger version.

It was a kick to see where Lewis and Clark had arrived in what would become Jefferson City and to walk the same ground where their expedition walked. I remember reading about them when I was in elementary school, but I never imagined I would one day follow their footsteps along a portion of their pioneering trail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome!! I lovelooking at your pictures and I am glad you get to do a little more than just working while you are there :)

Oh the kids got your postcards today. Mikey says no, he does not look like Bill Gates and Granddad is being silly.

Michelle said...

I love the merman shot! Very cool. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);