Tuesday, January 27, 2009

John Updike, R.I.P.

Word came today that prolific American author John Updike had passed away this morning as a result of lung cancer at the age of 76 in a hospice near his home in Beverly Farms, Massachusetts.

The first book of Updike's I read was "Couples" when I was 14 years old. I know that is a strange story for a 14 year old to be reading but I wanted to see what his writing was like and that was the latest book of his on the shelves. I liked it, but then I'm sure all the sex scenes had some part in contributing to that, especially in a young teenage boy.

Later I read one of his "Rabbit" books (I don't remember which one) and did not care for it, enough that I did not even finish reading the book. Other than an occasional work of his in The New Yorker or some short story I may have come across here and there, I've never really read anything else penned by him.

Our sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John Updike's passing is sad news indeed... he possessed a truly beautiful mind; he didn't just write well, he wrote wisely

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);