Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The End Of The World As We Know It

My friend ZenGrrl and I were discussing upcoming movies at lunch today and she asked me if I had seen the trailer for 2012 and when I indicated that I didn't think I had she gave a description which stopped short of being a spoiler. When I came home and watched the trailer online, I realized I HAD seen the trailer at the last movie Cindy and I went to see. The film is one of my favorite genres, the "disaster" story, and deals with the Mayan Doomsday theory that the world will end on the last day of the Mayan calendar, December 21, 2012.

At some point over this past weekend, Cindy and I were discussing the news that Yellowstone National Park sits on a massive volcano and that recent small earthquakes may indicate a massive eruption is imminent. Scientific theories postulate that such an eruption might very well blanket half of the country in volcanic ash. In researching that news, I came across Armageddon Online, a website dedicated to all the various and sundry ways that life on this earth may come to an end, both natural and man-made. Despite its name, I've not seen any indication in the content that the site is anything but a science based source of information.

It can be quite depressing to peruse the different ways this world may expire.

But as the R.E.M. song says, "It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, The History Channel has been running a series of those doomsday stories lately. Everything from Yellowstone blowing to an asteroid taking us out. Interesting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);