Sunday, September 27, 2009

What Book Introduced You To Science Fiction?

Over at SF Signal, they have posted an interesting piece where they ask several (mostly) writers of science fiction the question, "What Book Introduced You to Science Fiction?"

It's kind of satisfying to see that most of them began with books and authors that are considered to be the cream of the crop when it comes to science fiction. Authors like Heinlein, Norton, Bradbury, Asimov and Bova, or books like A Wrinkle In Time and The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

I was also happy to see that two of the authors responded that the book(s) that introduced them to science fiction were the same as the books that introduced ME to science fiction at the tender age of 7. I say books because I don't remember the specific title of the first one I read, but it was a Tom Swift book and I eventually read ALL the titles in that Tom Swift series. It may have been "Tom Swift and His Flying Lab" (pictured), but I can't be absolutely sure. It wasn't long after that when I moved on to Robert A. Heinlein, Ray Bradbury and others, but it was young Tom Swift who first introduced me to science fiction.

Did you know the "Taser" was inspired by one of Tom Swift's fictional inventions?

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Don't know if this counts as true "sci-fi" but Lord of the Rings was the first book I remember reading that was sci-fi/fantasy. But as to what really got me into sci-fi was watching all the old Flash Gordon series on TV in the 70s when I lived in Canada.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);