Tuesday, July 8, 2008

One Of My Favorite Essays

I have no patience for toxic people. I don't like them around me, I don't like them dumping on me, and I do my best to avoid their droppings in my life. But sometimes you have no choice in the matter.

Our lives are a series of actions and reactions. Actions are self-generated but reactions can make us dependent on the person performing the action...or they can set us apart from that person. One of my favorite things to read on a regular basis is David J. Pollay's Beware of Garbage Trucks! - also known as The Law of The Garbage Truck. Here's the first two paragraphs; I hope you'll follow the link to the entire post and I hope you enjoy it and find it as helpful as I do.

How often do you let other people’s nonsense change your mood? Do you let a bad driver, rude waiter, curt boss, or an insensitive employee ruin your day? Unless you're the Terminator, you're probably set back on your heels. However, the mark of your success is how quickly you can refocus on what’s important in your life.

Sixteen years ago I learned this lesson. And I learned it in the back of a New York City taxi cab. Here’s what happened.

Read the rest here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this great story! And thanks for correctly attributing it to David J. Pollay! My name is Chris, and I work with David. I just wanted to stop by and let you know that you can read the original story on David’s blog davidjpollay.typepad.com. I know he’d love to have you stop by!

Also check out the video of people in New York City taking the No Garbage Trucks!™ Pledge: bewareofgarbagetrucks.com. It’s pretty cool.

Thanks again!

Chris

chris@bewareofgarbagetrucks.com

The Word Of Jeff said...

Chris, thanks for commenting and for the link to David's blog and the video. Glad you stopped by to visit.

Unknown said...

WOW! Really enjoyed that! I think I have been guilty of giving and recieving "Garbage" in my life. What a fresh perspective on a simple mind set change.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);