Monday, March 23, 2009

It's An Adventure - Or A Disaster In The Making

Well, much faster than I expected, our construction loan to build the Sheepback Mountain cabin in Maggie Valley was approved this morning.

This blog's title reflects the differing viewpoints Cindy and I have. I wonder which belongs to who?

Damn bank, lol.

Now I'm being a bit overly dramatic because it's not really a disaster in the making, hopefully, but I have my concerns in this current economic climate. And don't think that Cindy and I have not talked out all of both our mutual and individual concerns with each other. We have. Sometimes very emotionally and painfully. So what I write here is not new to her. In the end we both want this, we just had different timetables in mind and we have tried to compromise in order to see this come to pass.

And now it begins. We'll most likely make our final decision on which floor plan/cabin style will be built during a conference call this Saturday with our builder. Permits will be pulled in April. We will start excavating for the basement in May, I believe, and we've been told to expect 10 months to a year for construction to be complete. While that is going on and we try to build from 600 miles away (but we have a good contractor), in Orlando we'll be continuing to get our home ready to sell. We already remodeled the bathroom in the master bedroom , but we still have to replace some floor covering, some decorative exterior wood, repaint some rooms and move many of our belongings into storage when it comes time to show the house. This has to be done while Cindy works and I am (hopefully) on the road working, so we'll have that difficulty to deal with. Oh, and we'll be trading in both our car and truck in the next few months for a 4 wheel drive vehicle that we'll need to navigate the mountainous roads in North Carolina.

If Cindy is laid off in the next round of right-sizing, we'll have to adjust our schedule accordingly, which won't be fun.

But, so far, things have worked out as and when they needed to and I hope that continues. And if they don't, well we'll deal with that too. We always do.

I REALLY hope the house sells for a good amount. That will make me feel better.


Georgie said...

Wow! The economic disaster has gotten to the "Mouse House"? Say it ain't so!
I say, just let it ride. It'll work out the way it's suppose to. If not, beat the hell outta somebody. LOL!
Nah, it'll be fine. No worries.

AnnMarie said...

I liked the pic of Harrison Ford on your page...

Otherwise.. I get it. Almost wish we'd never bought out here but everything happens for a reason right? The thought of selling (which wont be easy) isn't a good one..

*hugs* love you guys

The Word Of Jeff said...


Yeah, one of Cindy's bosses was let go 3 weeks ago and one of her closest friends was let go last week. You can imagine how difficult it is to go to work each day not knowing if it might be your last and the atmosphere in the office is very depressing.


What picture of Harrison Ford? I'm confused (which isn't unusual these days). Love you too, more than you know.

Michelle said...

I saw those floor plans and I like the single level one. I also like the large porch on that other design. Have you ever looked at that blog cabin thing on the site? Are you gonna incorporate any green stuff into the design, like solar tubes? Sorry, I've been addicted to the Planet Green network lately. LOL

I wish you luck in selling but if you can't get a great price now, have you considered renting it until the market upturns a bit?

The Word Of Jeff said...


We're going to try and be as "green" as possible both in the initial building and with add-ons later.

We've discussed renting, but would prefer to avoid that scenario if we can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...