Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Gathering Place, Maggie Valley NC

I'm writing this on Friday, October 17th while sitting in the West Carolina Internet Cafe in Dillsboro, NC and using their free (if you bring your own laptop) Wi-Fi. I chose WCIF because they also offer printing and faxing services and I needed to use both in connection with my employer. Earlier today we took a stroll through downtown Sylva, which is about 15 miles west of our campground and then drove here to Dillsboro which is just a couple of miles beyond Sylva so I could use WCIF.

So, driving around on the "donut" spare was not something I wanted to do a lot of, but we had an opportunity we could not pass up. My in-laws have been telling us for a while about a very charming bed & breakfast in Maggie Valley called The Gathering Place and in fact Cindy's aunt and uncle were staying there on Wednesday, so we were invited to join them for breakfast at the B & B and meet the owner, Laura, who my father-in-law refers to as his second daughter.

We had a delightful time! Laura is a sweetheart who owns and runs the B & B as well as housing abused dogs and horses on the lodge property. She is one of those few folks that I've met and liked from the moment we were introduced. Enjoying breakfast with her, my in-laws, Cindy's parents and two other guests just reinforced that affection. Later, Laura took Cindy and I on a tour of the B & B and we talked a lot about what work had gone into the B & B and our upcoming cabin construction.

I took two pictures of Laura to use on the blog and somehow both came out with her eyes closed, which I couldn't see on the small viewscreen of my camera when I checked the photos. But here is one of the B & B from the small lake with Cindy and Laura standing on one of the decks talking.



And, I should have noted in earlier posts, all the photos will be posted to Flickr when I return to Orlando.

2 comments:

A Beary Cozy Cottage said...

The Gathering Place in Maggie Valley is magical! The owner, Laura, is one of the most dynamic, caring, and hardworking people I've ever met. From the first moment we met, it seemed as if we'd known each other forever. My husband and I own a cabin right across from her and when we visit with family, our family stays at The Gathering Place. There isn't another place in Maggie like it and it's all because of Laura. A word of warning...it's addictive. Once you've stayed there,,, you'll be counting the days till your next visit. It's a beautiful, warm, relaxing B & B that will definitely keep you coming back to Maggie!

Anonymous said...

"The Gathering Place" is a very special oasis in touristy Maggie Valley and Laura is an amazing person with a beautiful home that she shares with those lucky enough to make a reservation. Laura has a wonderful charming energy that fills any room she in with a breath of fresh air.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);