Thursday, April 24, 2008

Top Ten Science Fiction Authors

Although I love writing, I have never really thought that I have a book in me waiting to come out (sorry babe, I know you were looking forward to that bestseller and the hefty advance), but IF I ever did write a book or short story, I think it would most likely be a science fiction story (either that or a fantasy story or a mystery involving computers) as that has always been one of my favorite genres to read.

So, I thought I'd list my Top Ten Science Fiction Authors and, if you have an interest in such writings, you can see how it compares to your own list of favorites. Remember, my list is purely subjective.


10. Ben Bova - The first work of his I stumbled across as a child was "The Star Conquerors" and the last one I read was "Orion Among The Stars."

9. Isaac Asimov
- One just has to mention "The Foundation Trilogy" or "I, Robot" or his Three Laws of Robotics to know we're talking about one of the most well-known science fiction authors.

8. Arthur C. Clarke
- Just listing his name is enough for anyone to understand the place of this recently deceased writer. He was also one of my favorite Humanists.

7. Poul Anderson
- As a kid, I loved "Time Patrol" and "Tomorrow's Children", which led me to all the other great stories by this prolific author.

6. Frederik Pohl - Among my favorites by this author; "The Starchild Trilogy" and "Beyond the Blue Event Horizon."

5. Ray Bradbury - "The Martian Chronicles" and "Fahrenheit 451" would be more than enough, but we also get "Something Wicked This Way Comes" and a plethora of other novels, short stories, screenplays and poetry from this gifted writer.

4. Piers Anthony - While mostly known for his "Xanth" series, it was his "Bio of a Space Tyrant" and "Incarnations of Immortality" series which enthralled me.

3. Robert A. Heinlein
- Generally acknowledged as "The Dean of Science Fiction Writers." From the mid-60's to late 70's I read everything of Heinlein's I could lay my hands on. Obviously, his seminal work, "Stranger In a Strange Land" has always been a favorite and I recently re-read it just for fun. True fans will remember the "I Grok Spock" bumper stickers and signs in the late 60's.


2. Jules Verne - Fondly referred to as "The Father of Science Fiction", Verne was a man incredibly ahead of his time. Though probably best known for "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea", it was his "From the Earth to the Moon" that has always been my favorite of his writings.


1. H. G. Wells - With apologies to Doc Brown and Clara Clayton (if you've seen Back to the Future III then you know what I'm referring to), the legendary H. G. Wells takes the top spot on my list, mostly because his immortal "The Time Machine" encompasses my favorite sub-genre of science fiction writing; time travel. (Which, considering the subject matter, SHOULD have been their favorite author...except that he was only 9 years old in 1875, the year in which BTTF III was set) I read this book in elementary school and later saw the 1960 movie based on the bestseller starring Rod Taylor. Other great works of Mr. Wells include "The War of the Worlds", "The Invisible Man", "The Island of Doctor Moreau" and another one of my all-time favorites, "The First Men in the Moon." Like Verne, Wells was a man far ahead of his time in what his imagination could conjure up.

So, there's my totally subjective list of my favorite Top Ten Science Fiction Authors. Now it's your turn. Share yours in the comment section. Maybe you'll name some I'm not familiar with and it will give me recommendations for new authors to read.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);