Friday, August 28, 2009

9/11 - National Day Of Service And Remembrance

Two weeks from today will mark the 8th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. I don't imagine that I will ever forget that morning as I sat in my home office working with the TV on and seeing those first horrifying images and the even more horrific scenes that played out later that morning.

Back in April President Obama signed into law a measure that designated Sept. 11 as a National Day of Service, urging everyone who is able to volunteer some type of service, perform some type of good deed or engage in some type of charitable activity as a tangible, visible and meaningful way of remembering that infamous day. Speaking for myself, I can't think of a better way to make my observance of that day have a more solid meaning in my life and heart. And in the lives of others.

The 9/11 Day of Service website gives some good suggestions for acts that can be performed. It also asks you "to post your personal plan to perform a good deed, volunteer or engage in another charitable activity in observance of the newly established September 11 National Day of Service and Remembrance." And you can search by your location and type of volunteering interest for available needs in your city or town. In anticipation of the upcoming 10 year anniversary and planned nationwide observance, the organization is also accepting donations of $9.11 (or more) to help fund those activities around the country.



I've started giving some thought to where I might be of some service if I am still at home in 2 weeks or what good deed I might do if I'm not and I'm posting this now to give you some time as well to contemplate how you might be able to observe the 9/11 - National Day Of Service And Remembrance, should you choose to do so.

A moment of silence is a reverent observation, a few hours of service is a real observance.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);