Monday, June 8, 2009

Middle Manager Class - Day 1

Today was the first day of a 4-day Middle Manager Course offered by my employer. I have actually been a middle manager with them since 2005 and more recently in my new department and position, but this was the first time I have been able to take the class on a deployment. It actually comes at a great time since I'll be taking the position-specific advanced course for my department next month in Maryland, the same place I was in January of 2008 for the basic course.



This particular course is more of a generic management course within the ranks of my employer, rather than a position-specific course, but it IS one that is necessary in these "New" days for our required credentialing, if you want to advance.

Today was more of a review of some basic tenets used by my employer and I discovered that I was more fortunate than most in that I have worked within 2 very different departments during my almost 5 years with them, and I have gathered a lot of information about the other departments in that time. This was, in fact, one of the things our class of 24 discussed; how you feel, many times, like you are only seeing a part of, rather than, the whole picture. That can be frustrating when you are trying to satisfy both the people you manage and the upper management you answer to on a daily basis.

We had 3 instructors today. One I felt was great, one was so-so and the third was very lacking, in my opinion. Afterward, in discussions with some fellow classmates, I discovered that opinion was held by others as well.

We have one participant who looks and talks like a young George Bush. He seems like a nice enough guy, but it is still a little scary to be near him. And I have already found it amusing to watch the others and imagine what their particular management philosophy will be, judging by their in-class behavior and participation. I assume they are making similar observations and judgments about me.

I've been told by one person who took the course previously that the next 3 days will be rough. I've also been told by another that it will not and that I will look back on it as one of the best courses I have ever taken. I'll let you know at the end who I agree with, lol.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);