Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Songs That Remind Me Of People/Times - "Build Me Up Buttercup"

Have you ever had certain songs remind you of people or a time in your life because, for whatever reason, the song is so closely associated with that person and/or time in your mind?

Ok, maybe I'm the only weirdo, just indulge me.

Driving around Iowa I've had a lot of opportunities to listen to oldies stations on the radio (it seems like every city has such a station, which is great) and I found myself thinking back to times and people in my past that I associate with certain songs.

I was 13 years old and in the 7th grade in 1968 when "Build Me Up Buttercup" was a hit for The Foundations at the same time that I had an unrequited crush on Phyllis McCormick.

I had known Phyllis all through elementary school and we walked to band practice together over the summer between 6th and 7th grades, but I didn't really notice her until 7th grade started. We were both in band in junior high; I played trombone and she played the French horn. I developed a big crush on her, but in a strange twist, it turned out she had a crush on me in 6th grade (that I never knew about until she told me in 7th grade) and had lost interest in me by the time I had a crush on her.

Timing, as they say, is everything.

At the end of 9th grade, my family moved to another area and I never saw Phyllis after that. But whenever I hear
"Build Me Up Buttercup" I briefly wonder what ever happened to my first big crush.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about songs. There's a number of sings that take me back to school or certain places and its kind of cool, actually.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);