Sunday, January 18, 2009

Andrew Wyeth, R.I.P.

Andrew Wyeth passed away quietly in his sleep 2 days ago on January 16, 2009 at the age of 91. Wyeth was a legendary American painter who was categorized as a "realist" style of painter, often painting from scenes of his life in Pennsylvania and Maine.

Probably his most famous work is "Christina's World", a sparse yet riveting depiction. I have a framed copy hanging in our bedroom (a gift from my mother-in-law when she discovered I liked the work) and I plan to place it in my office when we move to Sheepback Mountain. Sometimes I just stand in front of it or lie on the bed and stare at it. Even knowing the story behind it, I sometimes get lost in thought and create my own stories about it; about the house, the barn, the field and the girl. But overall, the painting always leaves me with a feeling of contentment and pleasure.



Our sympathies go out to his family.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
0);